Saturday, June 2, 2012


Queso Fundido with Chorizo

source: adapted from Rick Bayless in Fine Cooking and Fiesta at Rick’s via Annie’s Eats

Just back from three weeks travelling. We had a special weekend with other camping enthusiasts in Burra South Australia.  I often seem to miss Happy Hour as I am preparing dinner but this time kept it all simple with some frozen home prepared foods and just made something tasty for the Happy Hours.  I served warmed Brie with the Cranberry and Mandarin Chutney and The Chevre with Onion Marmalade Pizza previously posted, I did a Pepperoni Pizza for those who goats cheese didnt appeal.  The kick with all of these was the homemade Chutney and Marmalade.  I always like to try at least one new thing but had to take into account going through fruit fly areas and not always being able to source some products in country towns.  When I saw this recipe I felt it would be easy to reproduce as what I would call Nachos with Chorizo.

Ingredients:


  • 1 tbsp olive or canola oil
  • 2 chorizo links (about 6 oz total), 1/2-inch diced (I used two Chorizo as sold in Australia)
  • 1 tomato, seeded and diced
  • 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1 large jalapeño or 2 large serranos, seeded and diced (I used l tablespoon of jalapeno from a jar but would use 2 Tablespoons next time)
  • 3 tbsp tequila (optional) (if I didnt have any I wouldnt worry about leaving it out it made it rather sweet for my taste)
  • 8 oz Mexican melting cheese like Chihuahua, quesadilla or asadero (or a combination of Monterey Jack and sharp cheddar)  (I used 2/3rds tasty Cheddar cheese and about one third mozarella)
  • 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped (I used a tablespoon dried coriander leaves)
Instructions:
  1. Heat the oil in an 8- or 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes; drain off most of the liquid. Add the tomato, onion, and jalapeño and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion begins to soften and brown, about 7 minutes.  Add the tequila (if using) and cook, stirring, until reduced to a glaze.
  2. Sprinkle in the cheese.  Stir slowly and constantly until just melted then stir in the cilantro.  Serve immediately in a warm dish with chips for dipping. (I poured it over a packet of plain corn chips as in the photo).
Next time:  I would make sure the Chorizo Sausages came from somewhere I knew had spicy ones as the ones I used were a little bland and I would probably leave out the tequila.

Here is a short collection of photos taken at the Event which was held in South Australia on a property called Princess Royal Station and hosted by the South Australian Section of the Australian Camper Trailer Group.  




No comments:

Post a Comment