Monday, December 12, 2011

PIZZA WITH SEMOLINA & OLIVE OIL CRUST
COOKED IN THE BABYQ


It was a wet and miserable for most of the weekend.  It had been suggested to me that I should try a pizza crust containing semolina.  I found one in the Pizza&FB in Five book and altered it slightly by adding 1/3rd cup of olive oil.

Ingredients I used for a batch which should make at least 8 12" pizzas.

2 2/3rd cups lukewarm water
1/3rd cup virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon dried yeast
1 Tablespoon salt
3 cups of semolina flour (it took one whole packet)
3 1/4 cups of bread flour

Mix water, oil, salt and yeast together in a large container.

Add the flours, I use a danish whisk but a spoon will do.  If you have a 14 cup food processor with dough attachment you can mix using that.  If necessary use wet hands to mix in the last of the flour.

Put into a large container with a lid but not airtight. (I used the container I mix it in)

Put it aside for 2 hours or until dough rises and flattens.  It can be used but it is easier to use and the flavours develop if you refrigerate it overnight.  It will keep up to 14 days refrigerated.

Using the BabyQ I put a double sheet of alfoil, then a trivet, then stone and preheated on full heat (for approx 20 minutes) while I prepared the pizza.

For this one I used an orange sized piece of dough which I roughly rolled out to 1/8" thickness on a well floured pizza peel.  If you dont have one floured baking paper on a board would be fine.

I used sliced pepperoni, mushrooms, grated tasty, parmeasan and slices of boccocini cheese on top.

I turned down the heat two bars and cooked it 12 minutes before I tested it, I decided to then give it 3 more minutes.

This is the best crust I have made to date.


3 comments:

  1. You must love that babyQ. I use mine a lot also, but I must all ways love the Dutch ovens more. Love you blog.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ron, its much easier for me to use especially at home in the backyard, its under shelter on a stand the right height and no lifting other than the lid. I do love cooking in the camp ovens but hate the heaviness and having to empty out the coals :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since putting this in I now dont use the trivett, I just put down the alfoil and then the stone.

    ReplyDelete