Tuesday, May 24, 2011

POLBLUE AT BARRINGTON TOPS

OLIEBOLLEN









After a week of cooking at Thora I felt I would take it easy on our next short trip which was to Polblue at Barrington Tops.  I usually try to do at least one new thing at each camp I go to and when I saw my friend Paul in Canada making some onion soup in a Potjie over a gas ring I decided this was a great idea and would not entail taking much equipment. I measured and packed exactly what I needed.  The first morning was frosty and I did a circuit walk taking photos and decided that was enough for the day. The next day started sunny and I thought ideal for yeast cooking and so I set about making the Oliebollen.  

I mostly try to stick to a recipe the first time I make it but hesitated over the "room temperature" milk and egg.  I didnt warm the milk as my gut feeling told me to and went ahead but felt once it was all mixed up it was extremely liquid, due to my incorrect conversion from grams to cups.  I didnt have any extra flour so decided to let it rise and see what happened.  It didnt double in size even though I kept it warm and eventually put it into the car wrapped in a tea towel and my poncho.  It rose about a third but certainly didnt double. 
The potjie just fitted over the gas ring and I was easily able to get the oil to what I thought would be the right temperature to fry them.  There was no way I could shape the mixture so I dropped it in spoonfuls into the oil.  They cooked a nice golden brown and were light and fluffy.  I used some dutch spice in them which my friend Aart brought back from Holland and shared with me. Everyone said they were very nice and they were quickly eaten.
As I really couldnt in fairness put the correct ingredients with my photos I havent youtubed this as I intended.  If you would like to make them google Oliebollen for a recipe. There are lots of variations, mine had lemon peel and juice, apple and spice in.  I used 2 1/2 cups of flour instead of 4.  I also didnt read the recipe properly as I had already measured everything and used two eggs instead of one..........I think next time I will cook in my usual haphazardly disorganised manner :) with the right amount of flour and milk that I will warm and one egg.

This comes from Hetty's Dutch Cookbook - the recipe I used varied in that it had a teaspoon of spice and a peeled chopped apple  and the rind and juice of a lemon mixed with the fruit.
Ingredients:
1 Sachet Yeast
1 cup lukewarm milk
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 egg
1 - 1/2 cups of dried mixed fruit
1 quart vegetable oil for deep-frying
1 cup icing sugar for dusting

Directions:
Add yeast and stir into the warm milk. Let stand for a few minutes to dissolve. Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Stir the yeast mixture and egg into the flour and mix into a smooth batter. Stir in the dried fruit. Cover the bowl, and leave the batter in a warm place to rise until double in size. This will take about 1 hour.

2Heat the oil in a Camp Oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Use 2 metal spoons to shape scoops of dough into balls, and drop them carefully into the hot oil.They usually turn themselves when cooked on one side.Takes about 8 minutes all up.

If the oil is not hot enough, the outside will be tough and the insides greasy. Drain finished Oliebollen on paper towels and dust with icing sugar.
Eat them hot is best



I still had some cranberry and mandarin chutney mentioned in previous posts in the refrigerator so I took that and a small King Island Double Brie cheese.  Its great for predinner or happy hour.  You simply cut off the top skin of the cheese (I would consider this optional) and spread the cranberry and mandarin chutney over the cheese.  Then place in a warm camp oven for about 15 minutes depending on the size of the cheese (just enough to get the cheese gooey).  I put it in the potjie which had been sitting in the sun and it had enough warmth to soften the cheese for serving.  This also was enjoyed by those who had a chance to try it.

Adapted from Wives with Knives - found at Noble Pig

3 cups fresh cranberries (I used frozen) the second time I used dried reconstituted with boiling water and cooled
1 large tart apple, cored, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 cup water
3 Tablespoons candied (crystallized) ginger, chopped (Do not substitute)
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 Tablespoon curry powder (Do not leave this out)
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 cup golden raisins
2 cans mandarin orange slices, drained

Combine all ingredients in a large, heavy pot.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. This keeps indefinitely in the fridge.It will also easily form a seal if poured, very hot, into small, decorative jelly jars. Perfect hostess gift!



This was taken on a misty morning after rain during the night and no ice had formed on the grasses.


Polblue was a pretty spot to visit and of course you must expect weather variations.  We took thermals and two winter doonas and were warm as toast at night.  You need to take your own wood and although there are toilets there are no showers.  The cost at this time is $10 per adult per night and you leave the money in a supplied envelope in an honesty box.  More photos of the 3K walk around Polblue Creek and other days weather variations re on this Youtube.


lu

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Looks fantastic!! Can't wait to visit the Barrington Tops - but might wait until it's a bit warmer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only a few trails were open. I think like most national parks these days. The boys did one rescue and were rewarded with some fish. We saw lots of droppings but no actual brumbies.

    ReplyDelete